I came across Biologique Reserche around 9-10 years ago. I tried the P50 lotion but did not proceed any further due to the price point (couldn’t find justification).
But here I am, years later, thinking: perhaps I should give it a go. Every review I read was mostly very positive.
A little bit about my skin: I have dehydrated combo to oily, cystic/nodular acne, have undergone 4 accutane rounds in my life, have been using 0,05-0,1% retin-a for almost a decade if not more, my skin has hyperkeratosis and is very resistant to peels (I recover from 25% TCA peels within 5-6 days), I have hyperpigmentation from the acne and I never suntan. I use sunscreen every single day and re-apply throughout the day. I also do get eczema/dermatitis patches at random. My skin can look suffocated and dull very quickly if I don’t exfoliate daily.
My skin goals: Acne-free, hydrated, glowy without hyperpigmentation and make up that lasts throughout the day.
Now that I have established a little bit about my skin, I wanted something that would help me further control my acne (Retin-A helps, but not completely).
I started off my purchasing the P50 Lotion from Shop rescue spa (I am NOT sponsored). Then I found out that there is a stronger version of the Lotion P50 1970. Will explain more later on the differences.
This was my official ‘Intro’ into their skincare. Now, it has a specific system for skincare and I’ll do my best to explain it:
- Cleansing: First step. You can do a single cleanse for the morning and a double cleanse at night.
- Masking: Almost every day (depending on your issues, maybe only 2-4 times a week). This is almost considered as part of the treatment and not necessarily a ‘quick fix’.
- Exfoliating/Balancing lotion: This is to be used twice a day after cleansing. It can be used before masking, but I prefer after masking.
- Quintessential serums: This is basically targeted treatment to a specific problem at a specific time. Let’s say you only breakout on your jaw and the rest of your face is normal or even dry. You would apply a ‘Quintessential’ serum targeting acne/inflammation on your jaw and something targeting hydration on the rest of the face
- Essential creams: Mainly for skins that are stable, need hydration, nothing too fance, not severely unbalanced etc…think of it as the ‘basic’ creams
- Intensive creams: More for skins that need an extra boost, perhaps a bit too sensitive, some hyperpigmentation, begining stages of wrinkles/loss of firmness; they tackle more problems within a cream.
- Specific creams: When your face is imbalanced or a certain area of your face is imbalanced. Good example is cystic acne, excessive oil production, very clogged pores, Rosacea, very sensitive/irritated skin.
- Finishing Serums: This can be used both under or above your cream, or in some very oily skins skip the cream alltogether and go for this. This mainly tacklet texture/glow and overall ‘nice’ appearance of skin almost right away. They do work in conjunction of the quintessential serums and the creams.
- Boosters: These are ‘add-ons’ to the exfoliation from the P50 lotion. If you feel that your skin needs extra help with renewal, you would add these boosters for short periods of time to help your skin renew.
- Targeted treatments: These are mainly serums that tackle a temporary problem: i.e you are visting a very cold place and your skin is temporarily irritated or too dry. Or you just had a peel and your skin is too red/sensible. Again, temporary treatments.
STUFF I TRIED
- CREME MASQUE VERNIX: Very good when left overnight. It soothed any irritation or the hot/inflammation from cysts. Has a very potent scent, but works like wonders. Did not make my skin oily. I plan on purchasing this one in the future.
- CREME VERTE ESPOIR: This feels similar to Creme Dermopurifiante (color/scent/texture/absorption), but perhaps has a bit more of ‘slip’. It is extremely soothing. I have often rashes on the side of my nose and this really calmed those.
- CREME AUX ACIDES DES FRUITS: It is essentially an exfoliating cream. If you are already accostumed to high glycolics or heavy exfoliating serums / creams, this won’t feel like much. It absorbs very nicely.
- CREME VIP O2: This is a nice brightening cream that can be used around the eyes as well or mixed in with your other creams when you want to add more brightess and hydration. I truly enjoyed it and it really did not make my skin oilier or irritated.
- BIO MAGIC MASK: This did not do much on me personally. It felt like a basic clay mask but perhaps I am not the target skin type for it. It is marketed as more of ‘flash’ treatment for when you need your skin to look better for an event etc…This worked great on my Hubby’s skin though; gave him very glowy almost firmer looking texture.
- MASQUE VISOLASTINE EMBRYONNAIRE: This is truly soothing and hydrating. It contains fatty acids. Only way I can describe it is as a hydrating / soothing / calming masque.
- CREME CONTOUR DES YEUX ET LEVRES BIOFIXINE: Nothing impressive. It did not irritate my already allergic eyes, nice base for concealer, nice base for lipstick. The big bonus though: Biologique reserche eye creams come in 30ml/1 fl.oz size! 🙂
- MASQUE VIP O2: Truly impressive masque. This is a STAR. It can be used around the eyes as well. It is an ‘oxygenating’ (I would consider it brightening) masque that can be used on its own or mixed in with Masque Vivant. It contains fatty acids as well but it is insanely balancing. I consider this a treatment masque; you might not see results right away…but check back next day or a week after using it consistently. It just gives a glow like you’ve had the most relaxing pampering facial. Pricy stuff, but in my opinion worth it. Definitely will purchase this in the future.
STUFF I USE
LAIT VIP O2
This is one that totally surprised me. I did not expect to like this as much as to shell out 95 USD for it. It is impressive. It cleanses, soothes, brightens and keeps my hyperkeratosis at bay. Oh an it helps with my oil production! :O!
Really amazing product. It has replaced all of my other cleansers (Including my long-time loved one Kate Somerville Detox cleanser). Ok thinking about it, Detox Cleanser is the gel and more astringent version of Lait VIP O2. Both give me that glow and clean skin, but Lait VIP O2 I feel is more treating for my acne.
This is best if you massage it for around 1 minute and then remove it with a hot wet cloth.
How long does it last 100ml/3.4 fl.oz?: I still have 1/5th left after 4 weeks. This was the product that got used up the fastest.
LOTION P50 1970
The ‘Original’ formula. Contains Phenol (Not sold in EU). It has a distinctive ‘dentist office’ smell. It feels fresh when you apply it. Really delivers on the glow front and helps tremendously with breakouts.
Is it better than the P50 without phenol? Truth to be told, I love both. Both are unique, while they serve the same purpose, the method in which they do it is different.
in USA they make 6 versions: P50/P50V/P50W and those 3 same with phenol. In case of doubt, I would say start without the phenol. P50 is the strongest for congested/oily/hyperkeratinized skins, P50V is meant for more sensitive/dehydrated skin as well as mature skin since it has added nourishing factors. P50W is meant for much more reactive/sensitive skin and it contains arnica as well. There is an additional P50 PIGM 400 meant for skins that have hyperpigmentation or seek more brightening effects.
This is, in my opinion, the ‘core’ of the Biologique Reserche system. If you start with a product, let it be this one.
If the formula you get is still too strong, just dampen the cotton pad with water and then some drops of P50 to dilute the concentration.
How long does it last 150ml/5.1 fl.oz?: I have had it for over 5 weeks and I am at approximately 1/3 of the way to 2/7th. I would estimate it will last roughly 12 weeks.
As mentioned above, both have a special place. Both are amazing. I equally like them both. It smells more ‘vinegar-ish’.
Where do I start with this one. It is stunning product. Smells like fresh baker’s yeast. It works. It just works.
I personally use it every day and it has made such a difference at how fast my acne heals. I have also tried it with the method of ‘decongestion’ where you add a bit of baking soda and water and oh my! This works way better than Kate Somerville’s EradiKate. Whereas EradiKate would sort of ‘dry’ the pimple, the Masque Vivant+baking soda sort of ‘melts’ away the cyst, reduces inflammation and makes it go away just much faster.
See…my nodules/cysts tend to linger for months and moths on my face, whereas when using this I can see them go away within a week or two 😀
It is also brightening if you have that dull skin due to oiliness and very balancing. I look forward using this every day ❤
How long does it last 100ml/3.4 fl.oz?: Around 6-8 weeks of daily usage.
Truth to be told, this is still a very new product to me, so I’ll make an appropriate review when I have tested it further.
But it is meant for acne primarily.
How long does it last?: Not sure yet
SERUM OLIGO MARINES
Another very new product: I purchased it because it is brightening and helps with the ‘suffocated’ aspect of the skin and can be used under the eyes ❤
How long does it last ? Not sure yet
A must have if you have oily/acne prone skin. Game changer. It is a rather thick cream, witha yeasty scent and a light brown color that somehow manages to hydrate my dehydrated skin all while controlling oil like nothing else.
You know how certain products marketed for acne actually make your acne areas seem much more dry and awful so it is impossible to conceal them? Well this one hydrates it so beautifully that the acneic zones feel so soothed and calm all the while it is helping the skin heal faster and recuperate.
I have been using it twice a day now but I will likely switch to only once a day because it has controlled my oil production very very *very* well.
It can also be applied on targeted areas of your face where you breakout. It is anti-inflammatory, lightly exfoliating, soothing, oil controlling and balancing.
How long does it last 50ml?: I had 16ml sample and it did last me 4 weeks of twice day usage. I would expect the full size to last 3 months at least.
So I am aware that there aren’t many posts that have the ingredient list for Biologique Reserche products, so I thought of sharing the ingredients of the products that I currently own so that you can see whether it would suit you or if you have allergies to certain components – that you’ll be able to avoid them.
LAIT VIP O2 INGREDIENTS:
Water (Aqua), Squalane, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicapranate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetearyl Isononanoate, Glyceryl Stearate, Aminotic Fluid, Perfluorodecalin, PEG-20 Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Polyacrylamide, Cetyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Alcohol Denat, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Ethyl Oleate, Polyperfluoromethylisopropyl Ether, Ethyl Linolenate, Poloxamer 188, Laureth 7, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hydrolyzed Gelatin, Niacinamide, Lactic Acid, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit extract, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Yeast Extract (Faex Extract), Sodium Benzoate, Embryo Extract, Magnesium Chloride, Vinegar (Acetum), TEA-Lactate, Salicylic acid, Sodium Lactate, Mimosa Tenuiflora Bark extract, Alcohol, Sorbitol, Ethyl linoleate, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch hazel) Bark / leaf / twig extract, Papain, Myrtus Comunis Extract, Allium Cepa (Onion) Bulb extract, Hypericum Perforatum Flower/Leaf/Stem extract, Serine, Urea, Allantoin, Rhizobian Gum, Sodium Hyaluronate, Commiphora Myrrha Resin extract, Tocopherol, Potassium sorbate, Chlorphenesin, Thiamine HCL, Pyridoxine HCL, Sodium salicylate, Sorbic acid.
LAIT U INGREDIENTS:
Water (Aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Squalane, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Propylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) oil, Corylus Avellana (hazel) Seed oil, Polyacrylamide, Cetearyl Isononanoate, Glyceryl Stearate, Tocopheryl Acetate, C13-14 Isoparaffin, PEG-20 Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Ethyl Oleate, Ethyl linoleate, Caprylyl Glycol, P-Anisic Acid, Cetyl Palmitate, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) germ extract, Laureth 7, Ethyl Linolenate, Tocopherol.
LOTION P50 1970 INGREDIENTS:
Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Phenol, Niacinamide, Vinegar (Acetum), Ethoxydiglycol, Magnesium Chloride, Lactic Acid, Arcticum Lappa root extract, Salicylic Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Sulfur.
LOTION P50 INGREDIENTS:
Water (Aqua), Gluconolactone, Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Niacinamide, Citric Acid, Ethoxydiglycol, Magnesium Chloride, Malic Acid, Vinegar (acetum), Phytic acid, Salicylic acid, Cochlearia armoracia (horseradish) root extract, Arctium lappa root extract, Rumex acetosa leaf extract, Myrtus communis extract, Commiphora Myrrha resin extract, Allium cepa (onion) bulb extract, Thymus vulgaris (thyme) flower/leaf oil, Sulfur, Sorbitol, phenoxyethanol, Sodium benzoate, Potassium sorbate.
MASQUE VIVANT INGREDIENTS:
Yeast Extract (Faex extract), Water (aqua), Propylene glycol, Bentonite, Kaolin, Alcool Denat., Cucumis sativus (Cucumber) fruit extract, Glycerin, Vinegar (Acetum), Lactic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana Bark/leaf/twig extract, Hypericum perforatum Flower/leaf/stem extract, Acacia senegal gum, Xanthan Gum.
COMPLEXE IRIBIOL INGREDIENTS:
Water (Aqua), Alcohol Denat., Propylene Glycol, Zinc PCA, Salicylic Acid, Papaver Rhoeas Petal Extract, Iris Florentina Root Extract.
SERUM OLIGO-PROTEINES MARINES INGREDIENTS:
Water, Laminaria Digitata Extract, Propylene Glycol, Illite, Malachite extract, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin.
CREME DERMOPURIFIANTE INGREDIENTS:
Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric triglyceride, Butylene Glycol, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Triethanolamine, Lanolin Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Niacinamide, yeast Extract (faex), Alcohol Denat., Ascorbic acid, Spirea Ulmaria extract, Mimosa tenuiflora bark extract, Enantia Chlorantha bark extract, betula alba bark extract, Equisetum arvense extract, carbomer, Cetearyl alcohol, ethylhexylglycerin, hedera helix (ivy) leaf/stem extract, Fucus vesiculosus extract, Arcticum Lappa root extract, Gluconolactone, Ceteareth-33, centella asiatica extract, Arnica montana flower extract, Lavandula angustifolia (lavender) flower extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse chestnut) seed extract, Achillea millefolium extract, Thymus vulgaris (Thyme) flower/leaf extract, Citric acid, sodium benzoate, Potassium sorbate, Hydrolyzed Silk, magnesium Chloride, Vinegar (acetum), Alcohol, TEA-lactate, Sodium Lactate, Salicylic acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Bark/leaf/twig extract, Serine, Urea, Allantoin, Rhizobian Gum, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hypericum perforatum Flower/leaf/stem extract, Thiamine HCL, Pyridoxine HCL, Chlorphenesin.
I shall make more reviews of this brand when I acquire/test more products.
If you want to know more in-depth about each product, the active ingredients, I highly suggest you visit www.biologiquereserche.co.uk
For some reason, other websites do not give as much detail of the products like this one. So keep in mind that if you want to investigate more since they are indeed pricy products.
And finally: For better tailoring and to avoid wasting your money, please do ask a Biologique Reserche skin consultant 🙂 I do get all my products from www.shoprescuespa.com (NOT SPONSORED/AFFILIATED) because they ship fast (if you live on the east coast, 1-2 days delivery time) and very generous sampling policy which I appreciate because my skin is very reactive. They are also very helpful and friendly ❤ ❤